I removed the music wire from the housing so that I could work on straightening it. I used a pair of vice grip seamer plyers to grab the wire and then my fingers and thumb to bend the wire against is current bend. This works to increase the radius of the wire to about 24 inches. I worked the ends of the wire a bit more to try and get straight sections at the end.
Next I located the trim tab for the elevator in order to check the fit to the trim control wire (music wire). The trim tab does not have the hole in it for the control wire so I located the drawing for the tab (SNX-T07). The drawing calls up a 5/64 inch diameter hole for the control wire. I drilled the hole in the trim tab.
I installed the trim tab on the elevator and proceeded to make the “Z” bend in the music wire to connect the music wire to the trim tab. After connecting the trim tab I shortened the music wire in the cabin at the trim tab control lever. Then I secured the music wire to the trim control.
Today I spent some time working on the flight controls. I had previously order some 24 gauge music wire and today I installed it in the cable housing. The cable housing was made from bicycle cable housing used for brake cables. This is very similar to the housing called up but actually has a teflon liner to provide smooth movement. The music wire was ordered online from www.pianophile.com. I purchased a wire cutter for the music wire from my local Princess Auto store. The music wire had a curvature to it that was about 12 inches in diameter. This worried me a bit but after inserting it into the already installed housing there did not seem to be a problem.
I installed the plastic pushing in the aft push rod support channel and then moved on to the forward support channel.
The slot I had previously cut in the channel was not wide enough for the flange on the plastic bushing so I enlarged the slot width and opened up the radii at the ends of the slot. Next, I cut a piece of channel for the plastic bushing and then drilled and sanded a hole in it for the bushing. Finally, I re-fit the push rod for the elevator and temporarily secured the bushing support channel to check the fit.
I worked a bit on the controls today. First I moved one washer on each end of the link between the control triangle and the intermediate connection from the outside to the inside. This reduces the possibility of the link rubbing at each end and enters it a bit better in the hole under the rear of the seat.
I also started the installation of one of the rudder cable by installing it through the fairleads on the left side of the fuselage both front and rear.
Today I have started to work on finishing the windshield installation. Before starting I marked the bow strap where I wanted to extend it to better fit with the canopy. I took a number of photos to explore this area. After opening the canopy I put a ratchet strap on the windshield and started by removing the fasteners between the windshield and windshield bow. Next I removed the clecos.
With all the fasteners and clecos removed I was able to carefully remove the windshield and windshield bow strap. Once the windshield was removed I removed the protective covering from the forward half of the glare shield and then cleaned up the aluminum with some acetone to remove the glue and some scotchbrite for a few minor scratches.
I discovered a couple of rivets that I had left out. One on each side where the two halves of my custom glare shield join. At first I thought I would see if I could get some stainless steel washers for the underside of these rivets. I could not find any at my local Home Depot that were the correct size so I decided to make some backing plates out of aluminum. These were made from some 1/16″ 6061-T6 material that I had and were cut to 3/4″ x 3/4″ square with a #30 hole in the center. I then used a couple of CCP-44 rivets to finish fastening the glareshield in place.
I also discovered that the stainless steel fasteners I had ordered for the glare shield were too short. I’ll need to order some new fasteners.
I need to make some changes/repairs in the fuselage. I discovered that I must have missed note in View H-H on sheet F01. Today I’m going to drill out the rivets and install them from the opposite side so that the control triangle can be installed.
Today I worked on some tooling to help with the final triming of the canopy. I found that the toughest part of fitting the canopy was pulling it into position along the fuselage sides. So, I made up some pieces of MDF that I could clamp to the sides of the fuselage using ratchet straps. The MDF ends up flush with the upper longerons and provides a surface that I can clamp to. I plan to clamp some AL angles to the MDF to hold the canopy in place for the final fitting before I start drilling holes. I’m also hoping that I can drill the canopy while it is clamped in place. I know a lot of builders use a ratchet strap to pull the canopy down into place but I find this distorts the canopy so I really want to let it side in place and just pull in the portion that aligns with the upper longerons.